|Millbrook lies 19 miles north of Port Hope and is the largest village in the Township of Cavan. It was named for the mill built by John Deyell beside the brook that runs through the village. Millbrook was a very prosperous village in its early days. It had three hotels and many stores, but the village suffered numerous fires. The worst occured in 1876 when a fire destroyed all the buildings on the north side of King Street. Before the early 1880s Millbrook's population was 1500, but migration to Manitoba during that time greatly reduced those numbers.
The Millbrook Annual Fair, which still attracts a good audience, is one of the oldest in Ontario. It was founded in 1849 as the East Durham Fair.
The Millbrook Pond