Cavan Township

The Township of Cavan was first surveyed in 1816-17 and was settled primarily by Irishmen from County Cavan. More Irishmen continued to arrive and organized Loyal Orange Lodges in almost every hamlet. The Irish were avid Protestants, and when a Catholic dared to try to settle in the area, the "Cavan Blazers" burned his house down. By 1827 Cavan Township had four mills, five stores, two distilleries, and one church.
In his book Travels in North America, published in 1829, Captain Hall makes many acute observations about the people and place he visits. Here, among the immigrant Irish, he quickly became aware that most had arrived with little or no money but being healthy and resourceful they had found ways to cope.
By 1835 the population of the Township had leaped up to 2,575. Millbrook and Cavanville were flourishing young communities clustered around grist and saw mills. Hostelries were spotted strategically along the main roads. The population continued to grow and by 1850 the figure recorded in the census was 4,198. The word had got out that Cavan Township was a green and pleasant land.

(from This Green and Pleasant Land, Chronicles of Cavan Township)