1997 Population: 567,000 Elevation: 505 ft. 22nd largest city in the US

The settlement of Waterloo on the north bank of the Colorado River consisted of only a few cabins when Mirabeau B. Lamar visited in 1838. He was so impressed by the beauty of the hills and the river that he decided it would be a good site for the permanent capital of the Republic of Texas. In 1839 the town of Austin was laid out to conform to an agreed plan. By the 1880s the little frontier town of Austin had become a small city. In 1885 William George Eyres and his family came to Austin. William worked with John McDonald, a contractor for the new state capitol.
The Texas Capitol

In August of that year, William buried his young wife Flora. Left with 3 young children, William quickly remarried the next year to Lydia Elizabeth Fry. First working as a carpenter, then as a general contractor, William is listed as an architect in the 1891 Austin City Directory with his own office. The Austin History Center lists a number of houses he architected and built in their registry.
The youngest of William and Flora's children, Walter Leo, studied engineering at the University of Texas and eventually became Superintendent of Water Power and Light. He also served as a City Commissioner in the 1920's and Superintendent of Parks and Public Places. His 3 children, Grace, Jane and Bill, all graduated from the University of Texas. Grace and Jane both became teachers, Bill became an electrical engineer. William George's great great grandson, Jascha Tucker Little, graduated from UT with a degree in mechanical engineering in December 1999, the fourth generation of Eyres descendents to attend UT.

Congress Avenue, 1940s

Barton Springs Swimming Pool